As anyone who has read my blog may know, I am a great fan of using Virtual Machines for development, but keeping my source code on my 'main' drive for security and backup purposes. Up until recently, I couldn't do this, as I had problems running VS2010 and the Windows Phone 7 emulator.
Yesterday, VMWare informed me that an update to VMWare Workstation was available, so I downloaded it and updated it. I updated the VMWare tools, and then fired up VS2010 and created a new Windows Phone 7 project and hit F5. Lo and behold, the emulator fired up, and my 'Hello World' project ran on the emulator.
Flushed with success, I opened one of my projects from a mapped drive, located on my 'host' machine. I hit F5 to run the project, and got an error message:-
Error 1 Could not load the assembly file:///Y:\Users\Pete Vickers\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\APPATest\APPATest\obj\Debug\APPATest.dll. This assembly may have been downloaded from the Web. If an assembly has been downloaded from the Web, it is flagged by Windows as being a Web file, even if it resides on the local computer. This may prevent it from being used in your project. You can change this designation by changing the file properties. Only unblock assemblies that you trust. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=179545 for more information. APPATest
After searching this, saw a few people with the same problem, and several suggestions, including hosting the project on my local system. I didn't want to do this, as it would interfere with my backup strategy, and keeping all my source code on a 'host' drive. Then I read a couple of suggestions to add an entry to 'devenc.exe.config'...
"Open devenv.exe.config (in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE on my machine), and add this
<runtime> <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" /> .... </runtime>
Restart Visual Studio and it should work."
I made the change, restarted VS2010, and everything worked as it should. So now I can have the best of all worlds. I can do my Windows Phone 7 development in a VM, I can keep my source files on my host system, and I can use TFS in VS2010.
So, for anyone who has tried Windows Phone 7 development in VMWare Workstation in the past, without success, try updating to version 7.1.1 and see if it helps.
Originally published 15/Aug/2010